This simple recipe makes the most of late summer’s fresh eggplant and tomatoes. Read more about it in my blog “Eggplant Parm the CSA Way.”
Eggplant Parmesan (serves 4-6)
2 eggplants, cut in 1/4 inch slices and placed in a colander
5-6 Roma tomatoes, sliced
2-3 heirloom tomatoes
Whole wheat pastry flour
Salt & pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
Fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Sprinkle eggplant with salt and let stand for at least 5 minutes. Pat dry.
2. Spread some ww pastry flour on a plate and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
3. Heat about 3 Tb. olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
4. Dredge eggplant slices in flour, shake off and then place in frying pan.
5. Fry all floured eggplant slices until lightly browned and soft. (Add small amounts of olive oil as necessary.)
6. In a large baking dish, place a layer of eggplant, followed by a layer of Roma tomatoes and then a layer of mozzarella cheese.
7. Repeat the layers, this time using the heirloom tomatoes. Finish with cheese and sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. (This can be baked immediately or covered and refrigerated for several hours or overnight beforehand.)
Serving suggestion: I serve it as a main dish with brown rice and a salad. As a side dish, reduce portion size and serve with roasted chicken, rice and salad.