Summertime is the best and easiest time to get fresh vegetables in your diet. Skip high-fat eggplant Parmesan and go for this instead. You can make this all summer with local eggplant and zucchini and rosemary out of your own garden if you have it!
Recipe by Susan Greeley, MS, RD
1 medium eggplant, sliced
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 zucchini (summer squash), cut in small chunks
1 large red onion, sliced
1 (28-oz) can low-sodium crushed (or diced) tomatoes
2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
Fresh Parmesan cheese
- Place sliced eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit about 10 minutes, then rinse and pat dry. Cut each eggplant slice into fours.
- Put olive oil in a large, deep heavy skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add zucchini, onion and eggplant and stir while cooking until all begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and reduce to a simmer.
- Add the rosemary, salt & pepper. Cover and let simmer about 45 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary and serve hot with 1 Tbsp fresh Parmesan cheese per serving .
Nutrition Info: Per 1 cup serving with 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
100 calories, 3g Protein, 8g Carb, 6g Fat, 1g Sat Fat, 320mg Sodium, 3g Fiber
Menu suggestion: Serve with 1 cup brown rice, 3-4 ounces grilled chicken or shrimp and a large spinach, arugula or other green salad.