Enjoy Susan’s quick and delicious shrimp recipe any time of year.
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup quinoa (any color), rinsed
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. fresh or frozen, de-veined uncooked shrimp (rinse frozen to thaw)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or basil)
1/2 each red, green and yellow bell pepper, sliced
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil for drizzling
1 avocado (optional)
1. Bring water to a boil in a small pan. Add quinoa, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
2. While quinoa cooks, toss shrimp with 2 Tbsp. olive oil, garlic, and cilantro in a bowl.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a grill pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and a pinch of salt. Let cook for 4-5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy.
4. Transfer peppers to a bowl or plate and return pan to the heat. Add shrimp, a pinch of salt, and cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, turning to cook on both sides and until slightly browned and no longer translucent.
5. Spoon quinoa onto serving plate. Top with peppers and about 8 shrimp per person (5-6 for jumbo shrimp).
6. Add several avocado slices to the plate. Drizzle quinoa and shrimp with olive and a sprinkle of remaining salt.
Serve immediately and enjoy.